Friday, April 8, 2011

How-to | Create a layout with an uneven background

Kim Arnold shares with us, some tips for creating a layout that moves outside the 12x12 box!
Kim says...

Originally I was just going to put the diecut paper onto the spotted background – leaving the background 12x12. When I was fiddling around it was sitting on my desk with the diecut hanging of the side and I thought it looked great that way and so that was how I was going to do the page.

My tips for making sure that your page still ends up 12x12 so that you can get it in a page protector are:
  1. Stick your die cut on where you want it
  2. Line a whole sheet of 12x12 paper up over the top of the layout – lining up the edge of the whole sheet with the far edge of the diecut
  3. Mark on the background of the layout where the 12 inch edge is and then trim. I find this the easiest way to make sure that the layout ends up the right size.
  4. I also had my chipboard frame hanging off a little on the right side, so I just trimmed my background down a little further before I stuck the frame on – so the whole layout is still 12x12.
I would love to see you having a go at creating a “non-square” layout using some of the lovely diecut papers that Lisa includes in every kit.

Thanks Kim!  Might have to have a got at this myself!

Kim also shares this layout using the Isla kit.  The butter background has been misted with green to compliment the other touches of green on her layout.  I love the treatment Kim has give the tag and envelope. The envelope has been wrapped in May Arts ribbon and tied with twine. A simple butterfly and button finish it off.
Kim has also created a spiral flower using calico. The spiral was cut using pinking shears to give it a different look. A fabric brad placed in the centre, holds this flower in place.  Additional flowers were created and layed on their side to add even more dimension.
Stay tuned for another post from Leanne Allinson!

Cheers, Lis.

No comments:

Post a Comment